Pages

Thursday, 7 April 2016

My Favourite Genres

So, I thought a good way to ease back into this was to write about my favourite genres and some of my favourite authors. As a general rule, I will read just about anything, but obviously there are genres and authors that, shall we say, I am more partial to.

Firstly I would like to start with Mystery and Crime novels. I got into this genre when I first picked up Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle when I was 12. I was enthralled, but that is a post for another time. Anyway, this soon started a great love of the genre and I started reading a lot of novels along the same line, for example The Invisible Detective series, Anne Perry, Kathy Reichs and Agatha Christie.

Another of my favourite genres is Historical Fiction. I have read so much from this genre. The author I would recommend the most, and is my personal favourite, is Phillippa Gregory. She focuses on the Tudor period, so she isn’t for everyone, but for someone like me, who loves the time period, she is perfect and simply wonderful to read. I took one of her novels on a trip to Nottingham once, and had finished by the time I had gotten back later that day. Historical fiction, when written in the right way, can really make you feel like you’re in the time period you’re reading about.

I am not sure if they count as a genre on their own, but I have also read a lot of Victorian classics. In fairness a lot of this comes from studying English Literature at A-Level and Uni. However, my love of older fiction stems way back. I remember reading books like The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, The Railway Children, Oliver Twist before I had reached secondary school age. I really enjoy the language and storylines that are hard to find in modern fiction. Although not Victorian one of my favourite authors is Jane Austen. Think whatever you like, I love her books. I am also a fan of Charles Dickens, the Bronte sisters, Arthur Conan Doyle (as already mentioned), Thomas Hardy, Wilkie Collins and many others.

        I also read quite a lot of YA. Most of time it is because of recommendations from various people, but I usually enjoy them. I won’t say too much about this genre, again I want to write a whole separate post about YA.

Anyway, as I said I will read pretty much anything whatsoever, and like to think I am very open-minded when it comes to books. Hope you've got to know a bit more about what I like to read!

Take care and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment