Pages

Monday, 8 February 2016

My Literary Heroine - Hermione Granger


I feel the need to express my love for this character so here goes; she is ‘brilliant’, to quote Ron Weasley, let’s just get that out of the way. She is smart, resourceful, and rational. She’s generally a fantastic role model. I looked up to Hermione Granger a lot when I was younger, I wanted to be like her so much, and I am pretty sure an aspect of this has stayed with me, and always will. In hindsight I was already somewhat like her before I read the Harry Potter series, but I took a lot from her. That’s one of the reasons she is my idol, I, like many other girls, related to her. Admittedly she was not the most likeable character to begin, but she was the sort of person I wish I could be, and to an extent, she still is. Despite being unpleasant in the start, I think it’s clear that she was eager to please and wanted to prove that she deserved to be at Hogwarts as much as any other student; she was insecure. I could certainly relate to this at aged 11, where I joined a new school halfway through the year. Anyone who has done this knows how mortifying this is. I didn’t know anyone and I was nervous, desperate to fit in, just like Hermione. Also like Hermione I was worried about keeping up with the other students intellectually, (though we know she goes on to blow them all out of the water).


Hermione Granger is almost too perfect okay? Not only is she ridiculously intelligent, but she is genuinely kind, considerate and compassionate. She has such a good moral compass, something else I have always admired her for. Take for example Goblet of Fire, she becomes a sort of activist and desperately attempts to free the House Elves working at Hogwarts.. Sure they didn’t want to be free, but her intentions were honourable and admirable, at least, I have always thought so.

So we’ve established that she’s clever, that much is obvious, it’s Hermione, but I also admired her bravery. She never backs down from danger, she faces it head on. It’s a quality I am jealous of. No wonder she’s in Gryffindor, she has nerves of steel, and she uses this to do good and with complete selflessness. For instance, she completely wipes any memory of her from her parents minds so they will safe from Voldemort, a truly brave and selfless act.




Not only this but she kicks arse. She’s always willing to do whatever it takes to protect the ones she loves, she’s fiercely loyal, protective and very maternal on top of being a badass, (much like the wonderful Mrs Weasley). Not only this but can we talk about her relationship with Ron and Harry for a moment? I like that there is an actual platonic relationship between both the male and female protagonists. Not once is there any hint of romance between Harry and Hermione, (sorry Harmony shippers but it’s true), and I love that. Not only that but she is very willing to call Ron, her love interest,  out when he is being arse, I think that is beautiful. I love it in Deathly Hallows when a Ron and Harry get into a massive argument and she decides to stay with Harry, because she knows it’s the right thing to do, she knows Ron is being less than fair, and she subjects herself to a miserable few weeks without him.




    
   I could go on, but I have rambled enough. Hermione is pretty much flawless. She is a complex and wonderful character. I applaud Rowling for giving us such a great role model for young girls to be able to look up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment