Pages

Friday, 8 August 2014

Audiobooks

I have recently discovered a love of audiobooks. I have always enjoyed listening to them, but have never really made the effort to listen to them on a regular basis. I have always cherished the physical form of the book, any other form of reading has always felt like cheating on the book. Oh how the tides have turned. It started innocently. A onetime thing surely. I was reading J.K Rowling’s A Casual Vacancy not long after it had been released and if I am honest I was finding it a bit slow, and I really wanted to finish it before I met her, so I thought, ‘what would make this process a bit easier?’ and it occurred to me, listening to an audiobook might help, so I did. I am so glad I did, I don’t think I would have finished the book in time otherwise. I just found it so much easier to listen to someone reading it out. Part of it might have been laziness, but that is neither here nor there.

Now this did get me thinking about audiobooks, and how my original prejudices were wrong. They can be incredibly useful. Granted I have not listened to many in to the last couple of years, but I have made effort to listen to a few. I mostly listen to them on the go, walking the dog, walking to work. It means I am not wasting valuable reading time. After all audiobooks are exact same text as the physical book, just spoken, so I have no qualms about listening to them anymore, and I highly recommend them for people who don’t have a lot of time for reading, or who do a lot of walking or travelling. So please at least give it a try if you have ever had any doubts!

Thanks for reading! Comment below or contact me on twitter if you fancy a discussion on this topic. No matter if you loathe audiobooks, as I used to, or grateful for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment