Pages

Wednesday, 2 July 2014

Desert Island Books

Greetings!

The idea of this post is for you to get to know me as a reader, and possibly find out what to expect from my blog. I have decided to use (ahem, steal, ahem), the idea of being stranded on a desert island, and I am going to give you the top 10 books I would take with me, (I know it’s usually 5, but I couldn’t narrow it down, okay?). I am also going to make an attempt to justify my choices. I would like to point out that these are not necessarily my favourite books, (though I do love these books, I just find it hard to definitively say which books are my favourites). Mostly, I have just tried to choose a good variety of books. This is going to be a long one I am afraid, so bear with.


(Disclaimer: I have also decided to eliminate series from this list because otherwise it could get complicated and it seems like cheating to put a whole series as one option, and also silly to pick just one book from a whole series!)


1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green





What can I say about this book? Such a beautiful book. You’re probably sick of hearing about it, but trust me, it definitely lives up the hype. I adore it. Beautifully written and heartbreaking, you will not regret reading it. The novel tells the story of Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters. Hazel has cancer, which should give you a heads up as to the sort of story this. I can’t say too much without spoiling it but this book is utterly dazzling. This book would certainly keep me in touch with my emotions whilst I am stranded.


2. The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory



I have loved this book for many years. I could not imagine going anywhere for a long  period of time without it. This book started my love for Philippa Gregory, who is now one of my favourite authors. I have loved the Tudor period for such a long time, so when the film for this book was advertised, I discovered the book and desperately wanted to read it before I saw the movie. If you don’t know, the book is based off of the relationship between Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn’s sister, as well as the tumultuous relationship between the king and Anne Boleyn herself. I love historical fiction and this is one my absolute favourites.

3. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell






Quite a newly published book, but I could not help but add it to this list. I could read this book over and over again without getting bored. This was a rare book in that the romance in it did not annoy me in the slightest, it was simply adorable and believable. As soon as I read this book, I had the urge to read everything this woman has ever written, only to find that she had only written two other books! I have now read Eleanor and Park, and can not wait to read Attachments! The book deals with a variety of issues, which were tackled in a sensitive way, which I really appreciated. I plan on doing a review of this book, so look out for that!

4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen







A classic, rather obvious choice, but Austen’s characters and prose will keep me coming back again and again. I read this book when I was 13 and I am glad I did! This is a must read for every woman ever. I know there are some preconceptions about this book but it really isn’t as soppy as it is made out to be. Everyone knows about the epic love story between Darcy and Elizabeth, but the book deals with a lot of other topics, and is filled with amazing characters that you can’t help but love. I had to include this book. I just had to.

5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusack








Again, a book a lot of people talk about this but it is also well worth the hype. Set in Nazi Germany, the story centres around Liesel, a young girl who finds herself being fostered after tragic circumstances. Despite all of this I was able to relate to Liesel for one particular reason; her love of books. The book is so well written, the prose is so accessible and fluid, I love Zusack’s writing. He really makes you care about what happens to the character even though you know the ending will not necessarily be a good one. One of the best historical novels I have ever read, I could not be without it.
6. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen





Another Austen I am afraid. I debated a lot about whether to include another but I could not pick between P & P and the wonderful Northanger Abbey. I would consider Northanger Abbey my favourite Austen. Although I adore P & P, there is something about the gothic feel to this novel that really attracts me. I would also say that I can relate to the protagonist, Catherine Moorland, much more than Lizzie Bennet. The way Catherine loves reading, and enjoys talking about books, and lets her imagination get away from her that I just love and relate to so much. I love this book way too much not to include it in this list.

7. Come Together by Josie Lloyd and Emlyn Reese







Okay, now, very few people seem to have heard of this book, and I don’t know why, it’s brilliant! Lloyd and Reese are fantastic writers. Everytime I read one of their books I am blown away by the hilarious writing and likeable characters. I would need this book in particular on a desert island because it is just so funny, and I would need something to cheer me up. Come Together was the first book I have ever read by this couple. What really attracted me to it is the fact that it is the same story but written from two points of view, which though not unheard of, really intrigued my 15 year old brain. This book is your typical rom-com and I can not resist its charm. The book tells the story of Jack and Amy, both unlucky in love, but when they meet, neither one expects what is to come.


8. Seraphina by Rachel Hartman





Dragons! I’ve caught your attention now haven’t I? Yes, this book has many dragons! I can not resist a good dragon story and Seraphina is not only one of the best books about dragons but just one of the most well written books ever! Hartman’s writing is none like I have ever read, it’s just brilliant. There really isn’t much else I can say, but if you’re a fantasy lover, definitely read this! Look out for a review.

9. One Day by David Nicholls



Oh my gosh, such a beautiful book. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I found it so endearing and funny in places. The plot follows Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew (Dex), but just on one day every year, July 15th. It’s a really unique and intriguing way of writing a novel, I loved the whole concept. I also loved the characters of Emma and Dex. I was able to relate to Emma in particular, but their whole relationship reminded me of mine with my best friends, (platonic, of course). It brought up so many emotions for me, good and bad, it was an interesting and engaging read.

10. It by Stephen King





Now, I know Stephen King is not to everyone’s taste, but I happen to enjoy his books, most of all, ‘It.’ It is such a large novel but certainly worth it. If you liked the mini series, then you will love the book, there is so much more detail in the book, as well the pleasure of King’s delightfully graphic and gruesome prose. The story centres around 6 children who find themselves facing their own fears when each of them meet Pennywise the Clown. King does something that would have been far more effective had I not already seen the mini series, but he jumps ahead 30 years to when the children are now adults and have to face the clown yet again. The book is so well written though the time shift, I can imagine, could be a little disorientating, but really effective. I would love for this to keep me company on a desert island as I think it would throw something different in to mix.


So I hope you didn’t find this too boring or cliche. I hope you now know more about what I like to read, I think it was a good way to start this blog, so thanks for reading!

Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. Greggory and King are two of my favourite writers. Great books they got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right?! Gregory is just amazing! Everything she writes makes me wish I could write like her! xxx

    ReplyDelete